Your bedroom is a place where you relax, unwind, and sleep. It’s important to create a comfortable and inviting atmosphere in your bedroom, and lighting plays a big role in creating that atmosphere.
But not all lighting is the same, and not all types of lamps or lighting design may be appropriate or even what you want. So, let’s get into some key tips about lighting when decorating our bedrooms to make your dream room a reality.
Bedroom Lighting Tips
The right lighting can help you to:
- Relax and de-stress: Soft, diffused lighting can help you to relax and de-stress after a long day.
- Fall asleep more easily: Darkness helps to promote the production of melatonin, a hormone that helps to regulate sleep.
- Wake up feeling refreshed: Bright light in the morning can help to wake you up and boost your energy levels.
Factors for Selecting Room Lighting
When choosing lighting for your bedroom, it’s important to consider the following factors:
- The size of your bedroom: If you have a small bedroom, you’ll want to choose lighting that doesn’t take up too much space.
- The style of your bedroom: You’ll want to choose lighting that complements the style of your bedroom.
- Your needs: Do you need lighting for reading, relaxing, or sleeping?
- Budget: Bedroom lighting can range in price from a few dollars to hundreds of dollars. Set a budget before you start shopping so you don’t overspend.
Ambient, Accent, and Task Lighting for Your Room
There are three main types of bedroom lighting: task lighting, ambient lighting, and accent lighting.
- Task lighting is used for specific tasks, such as reading or getting ready for bed.
- Ambient lighting provides general lighting for the entire room.
- Accent lighting is used to highlight specific features in the room, such as artwork or architectural details.
Popular Lighting and Lamp Styles for a Modern Bedroom
- Nightstand lamps: Nightstand lamps are a great way to provide ambient light in your bedroom. They can be used for reading, relaxing, or getting ready for bed.
- Overhead lighting: Overhead lighting is a good option for providing general light in your bedroom. It can be used to wake up in the morning or to get ready for bed.
- Drapery panels: Drapery panels can be used to control the amount of light that enters your bedroom. They can be closed to create a dark and relaxing atmosphere or opened to let in natural light.
- Floor lamps: Floor lamps are a good option for providing task lighting in your bedroom. They can be used for reading, working, or doing crafts.
- Accent lighting: Accent lighting can be used to highlight certain features in your bedroom, such as a fireplace, artwork, or a bed frame.
By following these tips, you can choose the right lighting for your bedroom and create a comfortable and inviting atmosphere.
Additional Lighting Tips for a Chic Bedroom
- Use dimmer switches: Dimmer switches allow you to control the brightness of your lights, which can be helpful for creating different moods in your bedroom, according to Better Homes & Garden.
- Choose warm-toned bulbs: Warm-toned bulbs, such as incandescent or LED bulbs, create a more relaxing and inviting atmosphere than cool-toned bulbs, such as fluorescent bulbs.
- Avoid using harsh overhead lighting: Harsh overhead lighting can be jarring and disruptive to sleep. If you need overhead lighting, consider using a dimmer switch to soften the light.
- Get rid of clutter: Clutter can make your bedroom feel cramped and chaotic. Take some time to declutter your bedroom and create a more peaceful and relaxing space.
Where to Get Lighting for Your Bedroom
Here are some popular brands that provide lighting for bedrooms in the US:
- IKEA: IKEA offers a wide variety of affordable lighting options for bedrooms, including table lamps, floor lamps, and ceiling lights.
- Target: Target also has a good selection of affordable bedroom lighting options, including both traditional and modern styles.
- Wayfair: Wayfair is a great resource for finding unique and stylish bedroom lighting options, at a variety of price points.
- Amazon: Amazon is another great place to find a wide variety of bedroom lighting options, including both name-brand and generic products.
- Houzz: Houzz is a website that specializes in home design, and they have a section dedicated to bedroom lighting. You can browse by style, price, and other factors to find the perfect lighting for your space.
- LampsPlus: A leading online retailer of lighting and home décor, LampsPlus offers a wide selection of interior lamps, chandeliers, bedside lamps, ceiling fans, and other lighting fixtures, as well as furniture, rugs, and other home décor items. The company also offers a variety of services, including in-home design consultations and installation services.
- Home Depot: Whether you’re looking for a new chandelier for your dining room, a floor lamp for your living room, or a sconce for your bathroom, Home Depot has many options. Home Depot also offers a variety of lighting fixtures for your outdoor space, including patio lights, landscape lights, and security lights.
- Lowe’s: Lowe’s is a home improvement retailer that offers a wide variety of lighting products, including ceiling fans, chandeliers, pendants, table lamps, floor lamps, sconces, and outdoor lighting. Lowe’s also offers a variety of light bulbs, including LED, CFL, and halogen bulbs.
- Walmart: Walmart’s home lighting section offers a wide variety of lighting fixtures and bulbs for every room in your home. You can find everything from chandeliers to table lamps to recessed lighting. Walmart also offers a variety of energy-efficient lighting options, so you can save money on your energy bills.
You also need to decide what type of lighting you need, such as task lighting for reading or ambient lighting for creating a relaxing bedroom atmosphere.
Different Types of Light Bulbs
There are many options for light bulbs that can be used in bedrooms, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. Here are a few of the most popular options:
- Incandescent bulbs: Incandescent bulbs are the most common type of light bulb, and they are relatively inexpensive. However, they are also less energy-efficient than other types of bulbs. Halogen light bulbs are a type of incandescent light bulb that uses a halogen gas to increase the life of the bulb and the brightness of the light. Halogen bulbs are more efficient than incandescent bulbs and last up to 3 times longer. They also produce a brighter, whiter light that is closer to natural sunlight.
- Fluorescent bulbs: Fluorescent bulbs are more energy-efficient than incandescent bulbs, and they last longer. However, they can produce a harsh light that is not ideal for bedrooms. Fluorescent light bulbs are long, thin bulbs that use electricity to excite mercury vapor, which then produces ultraviolet light. This ultraviolet light hits a phosphor coating on the inside of the bulb, which causes it to emit visible light.
- LED bulbs: LED bulbs are the most energy-efficient type of light bulb, and they last for a very long time. They also produce a warm, inviting light that is perfect for bedrooms.
When choosing light bulbs for your bedroom, it is important to consider the size of the room, the style of your décor, and the amount of light you need. For example, if you have a small bedroom, you may want to choose smaller, more focused light bulbs. If you have a large bedroom, you may want to choose larger, more diffused light bulbs.
Warm and Cool Lighting Options
You should also consider the color temperature of the light bulbs. Color temperature is measured in Kelvin, and it ranges from warm (2700K) to cool (6500K). Warm light is more relaxing, while cool light is more energizing. For a bedroom, you may want to choose light bulbs with a color temperature of 2700K or 3000K.
With a little planning, you can create a beautiful and functional lighting scheme for your bedroom.